The full moon is magic. Even if you’re not a practicing witch or mystic (or werewolf — kidding), I’m sure you’ve felt its power. And, no doubt, have heard some of the legends associated with it. Illuminated by the reflection of the sun, the glowing orb lights our night sky in a remarkable way about every 29 days.
And, when it comes to magic, one of the most potent times to set an intention, manifest your desires, or do a spell is on the full moon. It was also the time of the month when it’s easiest to see what you’re doing outside at night. Which is usually helpful for rituals. So, when is the next full moon?
Below, you’ll find the full moon calendar for 2023 and 2024, the astrological sign each full moon falls in, and the Farmer’s Almanac names for those moons.
What Is the Full Moon Calendar for 2023?
- January 6, 2023: Full Moon in Cancer, 3:07pm PT
- February 5, 2023: Full Moon in Leo, 10:28am PT
- March 7, 2023: Full Moon in Virgo, 4:40am PT
- April 6, 2023: Full Moon in Libra, 9:34pm PT
- May 5, 2023: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse and Full Moon in Scorpio, 10:33am PT
- June 3, 2023: Full Moon in Sagittarius, 8:41pm PT
- July 3, 2023: Full Moon in Capricorn, 4:38am PT
- August 1, 2023: Super Full Moon in Aquarius, 11:31am PT
- August 30, 2023: Super Full Moon in Pisces, 11:31am PT
- September 29, 2023: Full Moon in Aries, 6:35pm PT
- October 28, 2023: Partial Lunar Eclipse and Full Moon in Taurus, 2:57am PT
- November 27, 2023: Full Moon in Gemini, 1:16am PT
- December 26, 2023: Full Moon in Cancer, 4:32pm PT
What Is the Full Moon Calendar for 2024?
- January 25, 2024: Full Moon in Leo, 9:53am PT
- February 24, 2024: Full Moon in Virgo, 4:30am PT
- March 25, 2024: Penumbral Lunar Eclipse and Full Moon in Libra, midnight PT
- April 23, 2024: Full Moon in Scorpio, 4:48pm PT
- May 23, 2024: Full Moon in Sagittarius, 6:52am PT
- June 21, 2024: Full Moon in Capricorn, 6:07pm PT
- July 21, 2024: Full Moon in Capricorn, 3:16am PT
- August 19, 2024: Full Moon in Aquarius, 11:25am PT
- September 17, 2024: Partial Lunar Eclipse and Super Full Moon in Pisces, 7:34pm PT
- October 17, 2024: Super Full Moon in Aries, 4:26am PT
- November 15, 2024: Full Moon in Taurus, 1:28am PT
- December 15, 2024: Full Moon in Gemini, 1:01am PT
Full Moon Names
Some of the moon names you’ve heard before are said to come from the Algonquin tribes, but they don’t. Even though this is a rumor that persists across the Internet, The Old Farmer’s Almanac has explained this is inaccurate.
“The Moon names we use in The Old Farmer’s Almanac come from Native American, Colonial American, or other traditional North American sources passed down through generations. For example, the name of January’s Wolf Moon is not a traditional Native American name; it’s thought to have English origins and brought to North America by European settlers.”
There are many names for the full moon across the different Native American tribes. For instance, the Tlingit, the indigenous peoples of the Pacific Northwest are said to call the first moon of the year the Goose Moon. My personal favorite is the Oneida’s name for January’s moon. It’s Teyakohuhtya’ks or “Someone’s Ears Are Freezing Moon.” Yes, mine.
Below are some of the full moon names for each month.
|Month||Farmer’s Almanac Moon Names||Algonquin Moon Name*||Translation|
|January||Wolf Moon, Old Moon, Moon After Yule||Kinozidj Kìzis||Long Moon|
|February||Snow Moon||Akakodjìsh Kìzis||Groundhog Moon|
|March||Worm Moon, Crow Moon, Crust Moon||Nika Kìzis||Wild Goose Moon|
|April||Pink Moon, Grass Moon, Egg Moon, Fish Moon||Kàwàsikotòdj Kìzis||Breaking Ice Moon|
|May||Flower Moon, Corn Planting Moon, Milk Moon||Wàbigon Kìzis||Flower Moon|
|June||Strawberry Moon||Odehimin Kìzis||Strawberry Moon|
|July||Full Buck Moon, Thunder Moon, Sturgeon Moon||Miskomin Kìzis (sometimes Oditagàgomin Kìzis)||Raspberry Moon (or Blackberry Moon)|
|August||Fruit Moon, Barley Moon||Mandàmin Kìzis (sometimes Oditagàgomin Kìzis)||Corn Moon (or Blackberry Moon)|
|September||Harvest Moon||Kagàkone Kìzis||Harvest Moon|
|October||Hunter’s Moon||Namegos Kìzis||Trout Moon|
|November||Beaver Moon, Frosty Moon||Adikameg Kìzis||Whitefish Moon|
|December||Cold Moon, Long Night’s Moon, Moon Before Yule||Pìdjipibòn Kìzis||Arriving Winter Moon|
*Moon names vary by tribe, location, and, as with most languages, names change over time.
Meanings Behind the Moon Names
The following meanings come from the Old Farmer’s Almanac.
1. January: Wolf Moon
This is the time of year when the wolves can be heard howling the loudest.
2. February: Snow Moon
The time of the heaviest snowfalls.
3. March: Worm Moon
When the first earthworms emerge from the ground or when larvae come out from the bark of trees.
4. April: Pink Moon
This the time of year when the wild ground phlox (“pink moss”) blooms.
5. May: Flower Moon
When the wildflowers are in full bloom.
6. June: Strawberry Moon
When strawberries are ripest.
7. July: Full Buck Moon
The time of year when a deer’s antlers have reached their fullest.
8. August: Sturgeon Moon
When the sturgeon of the Great Lakes can be caught the easiest.
9. September: Harvest Moon
The moon that occurs closest to the Fall Equinox.
10. October: Hunter’s Moon
The time for hunting before winter.
11. November: Beaver Moon
When beavers have finished their dams are getting ready to hibernate for winter.
12. December: Cold Moon
The time of year when the cold sets in.
Are There Any Apps I Can Use to Track the Moon Cycles?
- 50 Traditional Foods and Recipes to Enjoy On Imbolc - January 31, 2023
- 35 Aquarius Tattoo Ideas For Your Free-Spirited Self - January 26, 2023
- Full Moon Calendar and Dates for 2023 and 2024 - January 21, 2023